Welcome all, I’m going to experiment with a new format of post, the Sunday Short. This will be more personal and reflective, and much shorter than my usual blog posts.
Things I’ve been thinking about this week – Privilege
To begin, let’s check we are all on the same hymn sheet. Like many words, meanings can change or evolve over time.
I believe privilege is defined as an unearned benefit typically gained at birth
Yeah, I am privileged immensely, being born to white middle class parents in a developed country. I was also lucky to grow up somewhere it didn’t matter how rich or poor or what colour you were, everyone was treated the same. This was all through school and university, there was no special treatment.
But now I’ve spread my wings, I can see this was not the case for everybody. And now I’m in the liberal elite London bubble, and wondering do I acknowledge my privilege enough? At a event at parliament, I was shocked that all the catering staff were people of colour. Hello, does no-one think this is indicative of a serious culture problem?
Nowadays with a different perspective the barriers I see are scary. The public school crowd don’t realise how lucky they are, and some communities have a dearth of aspiration and role models. And when a few people make it from these communities, we assume everyone can. It’s a dilemma, how do we as a society deal with the variation of privilege?
Which brings me on the complexity of the difference between earned and unearned achievements. Where is the line between luck and hard work? And what happens if you got a head start due to privilege? Is your hard work less valid? Do we need to adopt the golf approach and give people life handicaps? What are your thoughts?
The Sunday Short will also feature a review of the past week, and some thoughts on the coming week.
- Completed my 6th marathon last weekend. This was bittersweet. Although I’m never a fast runner, I was really rather slow at this one. I’m grateful I finished, but also know I could have done much better if I trained more and dropped some weight. Attempting to turn these regrets into something positive.
- Successfully managed my first all day fast. This is something I’ve been meaning to try for a while, but never done. And the marathon result gave me the spurn on I needed. Despite a few strange flutters in my stomach at tea time, I didn’t ever feel hungry. I was so delighted I managed to get to this zen like state of contentment. Well chuffed, and happy to publically state I’ll be doing it again next week.
- I’ve let my Chinese go to the side while I’ve been busy. I need to get back on the wagon and get practising more. If you don’t use it, you lose it.
And the coming week
- Work, it’s going to be a busy week work wise so I’ll be no doubt working late a few nights.
- Voluntary work, again it’s a critical week and will take up a lot of time. Not ideal that these both come together, but we are where we are.
- But then it’s holiday time on Saturday, I’m away for my Easter getaway. This is something I’m really looking forward too, although the forecast is looking cold, so I’m making sure I get some cold weather plans organised.
Over to you
- What items have you been thinking about this week?
- Any good articles to share?
- Has it been a good week?
- Any plans for next week?