Why Ms ZiYou?
The name Ms ZiYou incorporates lots of things that are meaningful to me. When I committed to this blogging idea, coming up with a name was hard, especially as I’m exactly the most creative person (actually, I recall actual squirming in my teenage years trying to come up with names). I wanted a name I could live, feel comfortable as and get the domain name for. After many many attempts, I finally stumbled across a great name, that works on a few levels – breaking it down
- Hardcore feminist here – raises hand. Nothing drives me more mad than either (a) being addressed as Miss/Mrs or (b) someone asking if it’s Miss/Mrs. Especially in a situation when marital status makes no difference, like 99% of life – marital status is irrelevant to my doctor and car mechanic, and until we start asking men as you Mr (married) or Mr (not married) we’re implying women should be judged differently. Rant over, needless to say I should be addressed as Ms.
- I originally wanted a name that incorporated freedom. To signify both financial freedom and as it’s a nickname that some colleagues once gave me after my country of origin.
- Strangely for a grown up, I also have a favourite colour, purple. My first two homes featured a lot of purple paint before I decided I really should grow up.
- I’m also learning Mandarin, and was thinking of a Chinese word that would work. However given the limited characters in the latin transliteration, again all the good ones are taken.
- Then I struck gold ZiYou (自由) is Chinese for freedom, but could also be having purple (兹有).
So there we have it, a unique name that has personal meaning. Therefore I knew I should snap it up, so I got my card out and paid.
Which brings us nicely onto money; of all aspects of modern life, money is one I am good at (I’m sure I’ll cover all the ones I suck at later). I live a happy and fulfilled frugal life, and am on target to reach my FIRE number in three years. So my finances are on autopilot, and my focus in on making sure I enjoy these last few years of work and make the most out of living in London.
When writing, I’m more of the concise type; I’ll work out the best way and say it that way, I’m not one for lots of flowery language and stating the same thing many way; therefore my blog posts will tend towards the shorter side. However I love pictures, so there are likely to be an awful lot pictures about.
So that’s the start of my story…..any questions?